Kunstadt Memoir a Journey of Family, Resilience and Success
Peter Kunstadt and his fiancée Susan took a bold step into the unknown when they decided to break for the West—their homeland, Czechoslovakia, had been invaded by Soviet Bloc forces and they had to act quickly. Promised Land: A Life’s Journey to Success in Canada, released today by Burnstown Publishing House, is the story of that great escape, and the success that followed their arrival in Canada seven weeks later.
This is a story of bold decisions taken, of resilience, imagination and persistence, but above all it is a story of family. Kunstadt describes the history of his and Susan’s families in Eastern Europe, surviving Nazi tyranny, including family losses in the Holocaust, and the irony of liberation by Russian forces that soon led to a more persistent and deadening tyranny under Communist rule. But their resilient families survived, and went on to be successful in whatever they individually pursued.
Peter’s story is pervaded with his love of sport – he was a member of the Czechoslovak national ski team, and his family founded the Ottawa institution Kunstadt Sports. After enjoying a successful career as a professional engineer, Peter retired early to take on full-time duties in the family business. Still an avid skier and downhill racer, Peter tries hard to keep up with his children, Eric, Ron and Monica, on the slopes, tennis courts, and bike trails.
Promised Land: A Life’s Journey to Success in Canada comes highly recommended:
It's great to read how it all happened, and to see how his values have been passed on to his family. Stories like this show how Canada is enriched by the contributions of refugees. Peter is right--Canada is the best country in the world! - Nancy Greene, OC
His themes—that people should stop being hyphenated Canadians and just be Canadians, and that a peaceful nation, which gives its citizens an opportunity to make a life for themselves and their families free from oppression, is a treasure—ring true to me in every way. Thanks for sharing your story, Peter, with our next generation. - Bruce M Firestone, PhD, Ottawa Senators founder
Peter has dedicated his book to his family: “Family is what gives meaning to our lives. Neither Susan nor I have any memories of our grandparents as they all perished at the hands of the Nazis in World War 2. We feel lucky and privileged to have all seven of our grandchildren living near us. My primary intention in writing this book had always been for those kids to understand their roots and to appreciate their ancestors’ determination, clarity of purpose, and persistence in the face of obstacles and danger.”
Shipping is done using regular shipping options and may take up to 9 days to ship depending on location.
- We currently only ship within Canada. If you wish to purchase a product outside of Canada please contact us and we may be able to provide a solution for you.
- Shipping prices will be based on the total price, weight and dimensions and urgency of your order.
- We use carrier calculated shipping rates. All rates are provided from the respective courier company.
- Shipping times are estimated and may vary depending on circumstances. Whenever possible, we will send you a tracking number with each order verification to the email address you provide when your order is placed. We are not responsible for any emails not received to due to circumstances that are out of our control, including but not limited to spam filters, incorrect email address etc.
- We currently ship using Canada Post and FedEx for all deliveries, If you wish us to use a different shipping method, contact us using our contact form.
- The information provided to Canada Post is subject to verification. Therefore, if items actually presented to Canada Post are inconsistent with the information provided (incorrect category, volumes, weights, preparation, missing surcharges etc.), prices may be adjusted and/or additional charges added as provided for in the Customer's Agreement with Canada Post. The Customer agrees that such price changes are to be automatically applied through the same method of payment chosen by the Customer for the Order (credit card or Canada Post account), with no further notice required to the Customer from Canada Post.
Specializing in snow sports, cycling and tennis equipment. At Kunstadt Sports, you will find all the equipment required to excel at your sport during all four seasons.
Kunstadt Sports specializes in ski, bike and tennis equipment. We service all makes and models of bicycles, we tune skis & snowboards using Wintersteiger machines and equipment. At all three locations! Every day of the year, you can get your hockey or figures skates sharpened while you wait..
Kunstadt Sports has been stringing racquets since 1988.
Kunstadt Sports had started in 1988 in the basement of the Kunstadt home in Kanata. After five years of serving customers in our family home and developing our customer base, we signed our first lease in Kanata at 462 Hazeldean Road in 1993. Soon, the business expanded and we had been able to purchase the Kanata property. In 1999, we acquired our second location at 1583 Bank Street. Our latest expansion took place in the summer of 2009, when we opened a store in the Glebe in an historic building which housed the popular Olympic Ski & Tennis Shop for over four decades. We look forward to carrying on the tradition of selling sports equipment for many decades to come at our three Ottawa locations.
Read more about the History of Kunstadt Sports here: